Generally, gear used by the whole group (e.g. stoves) will be provided by the club. Some individual equipment, such as tents, can often be shared among individuals, so if you don't have a tent, it's likely that someone else does and that you can share with them.
Individual equipment requirements are usually limited to appropriate clothing and boots, a backpack with an internal or external frame, and a sleeping bag.
If you don't have all the required gear, information about renting and buying can be found here.
Typical Equipment Needs for Camping Trips
Collective (club provides)
- Pots and pans for cooking.
- First-Aid Kit
- Hiking backpack (Your school backpack will not do)
- Tent (Shared, ask your leader what the tent situation is)
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- Water bottles (2-3 liters)
- Mug and a plate or bowl
- Spoon and a fork
- Rain gear
- Rain-cover/plastic bag for pack
- Boots, 3 pairs of socks/liners
- Some cash for two meals
Please do not bring
- Electronics other than cameras
- Wool socks (3 pairs)
- Depending on the trip, 2-4 layers perhaps including long underwear, a fleece middle layer, and an outer shell (wind/water resistant jacket/parka, pants). Remember that it will be much colder at night than it is during the day so be sure that you have enough stuff!
A note on weight:
Everything that you bring (plus some of the group stuff and food) will have to go on your back. Keep this in mind and remember that everyone will be stinky so an extra change of clothes might not be a good idea.